Many of us might have faced this problem–
I have ubuntu installed. Now if i install windows (any version), then my ubuntu Bootloader(Grub) is lost & replaced by windows bootloader. And Windows doesn’t recognise Linux. So it effectively means we dont have access to ubuntu any more.
But there is a solution. Install your windows wherever you want(in any logical drive on your HDD except ubuntu drive). Then follow the following procedure to get the Ubuntu Bootloader (Grub) back with your new windows option.
1. Boot from Ubuntu CD
2. In the Live CD mode itself, open terminal & type:
$ sudo grub
you’ll get the grub command prompt as
$ find /boot/grub/stage1
you’ll get ans like-
4. After this, type:
$ setup (hd0,7)
remember to this (hd0,x) same as you get in the previous step
This’ll install grub.
And in my case this was it. I was able to start ubuntu & windows both from Grub boot menu.
If this didnt solve your problem, then
5. Restart into windows
6. download a software called easyBCD, its free. And install it.
7. When you run it, u’ll see a boot menu
Select the “Add entry” option.
8. Enter name od OS as “Ubuntu”(or anything that u want to appear on the boot menu)
9. Select loader as “Grub” & select the partition where ubuntu is installed.
10. Click apply & restart.
You will see the ubuntu partition